Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Test, Task 1, and Task 2

Being a webmaster since 1998, I thought this would be a good review of online service providers and the services/options that they currently offer... for free. This is a very interesting and fun time technologically speaking, since hand-coding and money are not a requirement to create interesting and engaging web presences. I am looking forward to this Library 2.0 experience.

I set up a free email account with Gmail since I had a preexisting account with them and so I sent myself an invitation for a Gmail account (BTW: the other alternative for setting up a free Gmail account was to provide Google with my mobile number to which they would send me a text message - I don't like giving any commercial entity that sort of information unless they also have my credit card number... even if they harvest the content of my email messages). Upon receiving the invitation I felt that I had to come up with a witty name since everybody else had such great names. I thought that something having to do with "peninsula" would be cool but felt that peninsula might be taken or that I wouldn't want to take the name in case the library chose to use that name in the future for something. Needless to say I became fixated on the word. I checked out InfoBits, the kids InfoTrac resource, since I wasn't very familiar with it and wondered if it offered a thesaurus. A long story short, it didn't, but it had a very accessible dictionary with a basic definition. On with the story... I went ahead and checked out the adult online resource InfoTrac and used their dictionary which pulls content from Mirriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. This entry logically gave more information and even dated the word back to 1538. Unfortunately no thesaurus was to be found, though there is a thesaurus available for their subject searches. I decided to use answers.com since it wasn't a very serious topic and more of a brainstorming exercise. I scrolled down the page and saw that Wikipedia had some other possible names. One that stood out to me was "headland" since the library is a cognitive place for ideas. I decided to use "headland" and precede it by the Palos Verdes initials "pv". Since I also wanted a witty name for the blog I started brainstorming and started rolling the word, "headland" around in my brain and thought about the possible pronunciations people might use for it. Some people make "headland" sound like two words and others make it sound like one. In the scheme of things it doesn't really matter what pronunciation is used since the meaning is conveyed so, running on this tangent, I thought that I'd sidestep the theme altogether and make reference to Gershwin's "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" with "You say tomato, I say tomato". Enough for now...

No comments: